Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Making play sand

I made a New Years Resolution -- I know, stay with me -- that I would try a new sensory/hands-on activity with the kids every week. Well, I lost steam on that pretty quick and after a few weeks I decided to try something new every month and it's much easier.

Our first experiment -- Play Sand



On this blog, I found a way to make indoor sand that's also non-toxic (in case you have a kid who puts everything in their mouth like I do) by simply mixing whole wheat flour with canola oil until you get a "sandy" consistency.


With a splat mat draped across our kitchen table, I mixed these two pantry items into play sand that my preschooler could fill seashells with and my toddler could push through her fingers and across the table in exploration.
As my previous post mentions, I suck at crafts so crafting with them is usually a bust. The lazy mom in me likes to find something that's 2-3 ingredients (stuff I usually have in my pantry anyway) that I can mix up, entertain the kids, and curb my preschoolers pleas for the television.

This is a long winter, but mix up some play sand and pretend you're sitting at the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment